Did you know that 86 million people in the United States have pre-diabetes? At NOAH, we make sure our patients receive the necessary screening and resources to prevent or delay the onset of Type 2 diabetes. Our medical team and Registered Dietitian meet with our patients to review meal plan options and healthy alternatives to improve their lifestyle. Give us a call at 480-882-4545.
7 tips to help you plan great tasting, nutritious dinners in no time at all.
1. Defrost frozen white fish filets in the fridge the night before you plan to use them. Brush the fish lightly with olive oil and season with freshly ground pepper and other dried herbs. Bake the fish in the oven until done and serve with ½ cup of pre-cooked brown rice and steamed green beans.
2. Make a salad for your entrée. Chop up your favorite non-starchy vegetables and serve them over a bed of greens. Add some rotisserie chicken breast, garbanzo or black beans. Have your salad with a side of whole wheat garlic bread or some fresh fruit.
3. Try slow-cooker chicken fajita burritos. Place thawed chicken breasts in a slow cooker and add sliced red and yellow peppers, sliced red onion, black beans, salsa, low-sodium chicken broth, chili, garlic and cumin powder and cook for 6-8 hours on low. Fill a low-carb or gluten free tortilla with mixture and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and top it all with a spoonful of non-fat plain Greek yogurt. Garnish with a lime.
4. Have breakfast for dinner. Scramble up a few egg whites and top them with green peppers and onions that you’ve sautéed in olive oil from frozen. Throw in a slice of whole wheat toast with some trans-free margarine. Add some fresh berries on the side.
5. Try pasta primavera. Add frozen vegetables to whole wheat pasta during the last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain the water and then toss with a two tablespoons of light salad dressing and cooked diced chicken. Or, toss in pasta sauce if you prefer a red sauce.
6. Stir fry is another easy option. Keep a frozen vegetable stir-fry medley in your freezer. Sauté on the stove with vegetable oil. Add some frozen shrimp or heated chicken and serve over brown rice or quinoa.
7. Make a veggie flatbread. Sauté some frozen or fresh veggies and pile them onto a whole wheat pita and top with low-fat mozzarella cheese and sliced tomatoes. Bake in the oven until the cheese melts. Add fresh basil leaves for garnish.