Got Diabetes? Now What?
Were you just diagnosed with diabetes or pre-diabetes? If so, you probably have a ton of questions about what to do next. Wondering what to eat and when to eat can be very stressful, especially for those that haven’t paid much attention to their diet in the past.
Our NOAH Care Team will answer those questions like:
• Can I eat my favorite foods still?
• What happens if I want to go out to a restaurant or friend’s house?
• Do I have to change my entire diet and give up everything I love to eat?
Good news – you don’t have to give up your favorite foods! You will have to train your mind and body to know that everything you eat has an effect on your blood sugar. Your Care Team at NOAH will help you along your new journey by teaching you how to eat regular meals, control the amount you eat, and make healthy food choices so that you can manage your diagnosis better and prevent other health problems.
Our Registered Dietician Nutritionists will teach you how to:
1. Count carbohydrates (aka carbs).
2. Read food labels.
3. Measure food by serving (or portion) size.
4. Develop a meal plan just for you.
5. Set goals that are achievable.
6. Prevent high or low blood sugar.
7. Review the 3 main types of nutrients in foods (carbs, proteins and fats).
5 Tips to help you develop a healthy meal plan include:
• Complex carbs – whole grains bread, oatmeal or brown rice.
• Fiber – beans, whole grains, fruits and vegetables.
• Lean protein – chicken without skin and white fish.
• Vegetables – green leafy veggies are the best.
• Heart Healthy Fat – olive, peanut, canola oils or walnuts, almonds and flax seed (limited amounts of all)
Our Care Team at NOAH are here to help you create and manage your healthy lifestyle habits. Need help setting or sticking to your goals? Call 480-882-4545 today! #DefeatDiabetesMonth #diabetes #selfcare #getactive