Honor World Mental Health Day
By Cody Randel
World Mental Health Day is October 10th, to both raise awareness and to mobilize support for this important issue. This year, however, the World Health Organization (WHO) will host its advocacy event online due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Big Event for Mental Health brings together world leaders, celebrities, and advocates from all over the world. The focus will be on the serious need for widespread resources, a problem worsened by the pandemic. The event is free and will be broadcast on WHO’s Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and TikTok channels from 7 – 9:30 a.m.
Big Event Highlights
- How can we better invest in mental health? A look at individual, national, and global levels and the actions needed to scale up resources.
- The event will include several short films that focus on the work of WHO and their partners’ initiatives around the globe.
- WHO’s event will ultimately highlight a variety of ways to improve mental health, spread more awareness, and share the benefits of investment that go beyond public health.
Mental Illness Facts
- Approximately 1 billion people worldwide live with a mental disorder
- 3 million people die every year from harmful alcohol use worldwide
- 1 person dies every 40 seconds from suicide across the world
- COVID-19 has impacted billions of people’s lives worldwide, and subsequently affected people’s mental health
One of greatest obstacles we all face is the social and internalized stigma associated with seeking help for these health issues. Programs like World Mental Health Day are important to not only bringing awareness to these issues, but also continuing to make it a mainstream topic which helps people around the world. Get involved in changing negative views about mental health issues by organizing events to raise awareness, or by simply listening to an individual who is suffering. We all have the power to change a life with even the smallest gestures.
If you want to speak with someone about any challenges or concerns you are living with, request an appointment today.