“There are lots of ways to keep your children busy during the summertime that do not involve use of media and many of these do not require you to go anywhere or spend a lot of money.”Dr. Patty Avila, Pediatrician
- String beads together to make jewelry.
- Create leis with wildflowers.
- Collect rocks and paint them to use as paperweights or pet rocks or leave on a hiking trial for people to find.
- Use recyclable items to make crafts.
- Paint canvas sneakers with fabric paint pens or acrylic paint.
- Decorate a wall or walkway with chalk.
- Play with playdough or clay.
- Make your own instruments and record music.
- Put on a play.
Keep your children physically active
- Plan a dance party.
- Build an obstacle course in your backyard and have a competition to see who gets through it the fastest.
- Take a family bike ride together.
- Play a sport together.
Make memories together
- Create a scrapbook or Time Capsule.
- Create a summer mural by using a long piece of craft paper that can include drawings/paintings/pictures of your summer activities.
- Have a night where the kids get to plan and cook a meal for the family.
- Plan family game nights.
- Go bird watching and take pictures. There are websites and free apps that help you identify birds in your area like https://merlin.allaboutbirds.org/.
- Go on a nature walk/hike and take a bag to find “nature” and bring it home.
- Hunt for bugs.
- Plant an herb garden/butterfly garden.
- Find a local farm that allows for you to pick your own berries, veggies, or flowers.