It is officially summer, and the kids are out of school. Yay! During this time, it is especially important to find healthy ways to keep them happy and busy. During the summer we want to avoid too much screen time use in all forms like:
- Video game systems.
Not using screen time wisely can influence how children feel, learn, think and behave in unhealthy ways. Having “Screen Time Rules” can help your child learn how to use electronics wisely.
- Have you made your bed, cleaned your room, finished your chores?
- Are you ready for the day – eaten breakfast, brushed your teeth, combed your hair, and gotten dressed?
- Have you read for 20 minutes?
- Have you done some type of physical activity for at least 30 mins to 1 hour – like playing outside, riding bike, jumped on trampoline, played a sport, danced, tumbling?
- Have you done something creative today?
If YES, then you can have some screen time. Place limits on the amount of time spent on electronics as well. Below is a link to help you create a plan to manage use of electronics wisely.