In light of May being deemed Mental Health Awareness Month in the U.S., here are some keys to creating and maintaining emotional wellness.
- Take care of yourself. Take time to relax, exercise, eat well, spend time with people you enjoy and activities which you find pleasurable.
- Choose to find the positives in life experiences instead of focusing on the negatives. Most clouds have a silver lining and offer opportunities for personal understanding and growth. When you accept that things are sometimes difficult, and just do what you need to do, then it doesn’t seem so hard.
- Let go of the past. If you can’t change it, and you have no control over it, then let it go. Don’t waste your energy on things that cannot benefit you. Forgive yourself and others.
- Be respectful and responsible.
- Acknowledge and take credit for your successes and accomplishments.
- Take the time to develop one or two close relationships in which you can be honest about your feelings.
- Talk positively about yourself and about others.
- Remove yourself from hurtful or damaging situations. Temporarily walk away from a situation that is getting out of control.
- Accept that life is about choices and is always bringing change to you. Accept that change also requires personal adjustment.
- Have a plan for the future. Develop long range goals for yourself, but work on them one day at a time—or even one minute at a time.
We know these things aren’t always as easy as they seem. We are here for you on your journey to wellness!