What better way to jumpstart your day than with a solid, restful night’s sleep? In today’s fast-paced, high-tech world, there is still no substitute for a good old-fashioned snooze, which comes with numerous health benefits. These include improved mood, alertness, work or school performance, and even heart health.
Here are some ways to get the most bang for your buck while you catch those z’s! Also known as “sleep hygiene:”
- Avoid caffeinated beverages such as coffee and tea in the afternoon.
- Have a regular sleep schedule and stick to it, e.g. bedtime at 10 pm and alarm clock set for 6 am.
- Sleep in a cool, dark, and quiet room.
- If you are unable to fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed and do something relaxing (see activities below) so that your body does not associate the bed with wakefulness.
- Do something relaxing before bed such as drinking a warm beverage, reading a book, or meditating.
- Avoid screen time before sleeping, as the blue light from phones and computers stimulates wakefulness.
- Avoid drinking too much alcohol as it can disrupt your body’s sleep cycle.
- Regular exercise, ideally in the morning or early afternoon, also improves quality of sleep.
Are you doing all of these things but still having trouble with falling or staying asleep? If so, you may have a sleep disorder. Our doctors at NOAH are happy to work with you to achieve your best sleep, health and wellness. Feel free to call us for an appointment at 480-882-4545.