Board of Directors Role
The Board of Directors has an important role in shaping NOAH strategically, as well as maintaining focus on NOAH’s mission which is at the heart of all we do.
NOAH is required to have a Board of Directors made up of community members and NOAH patients. The diversity of board member’s experiences and perspectives is valued and impactful.
What is a board member’s job?
Every member of the Board of Directors is required to contribute to NOAH. The roles and responsibilities required for the volunteer role include:
- Put the interest of NOAH above other personal or business interests that may coincide.
- Maintain complete confidentiality of board discussions and information.
- Attend board meetings regularly and be an active participant.
- Serve on at least one committee:
- Executive Committee
- Finance Committee
- Strategic Planning Committee
- Advocacy/Development Committee
- Review any and all reports, research, and other information provided to the board.
- Make informed decisions and use reasonable business judgement for all Board of Directors business.
- Actively participate in Board of Directors business including critiquing reports, providing input and insight, suggest resolutions to problems, and more.
- Ensure that the needs and interest of all members of the community are represented in plans and decisions impacting health center services.
What makes a good board member?
NOAH board members come with different educations, experiences, and goals. The qualities that make a great member of NOAH’s Board of Directors:
- Understanding and belief in NOAH’s mission and vision.
- Motivation to serve Maricopa County residents through quality, equitable healthcare.
- Understanding of challenges, opportunities, and strengths of Federally Qualified Health Centers.
- Knowledge of the concept and operation of health centers.
- Ability to read and understand financial statements.
- Desire to work collaboratively with other board members in a community setting.
- Helpful, but not required, is training or experience in one of the following areas:
- Community affairs
- Marketing/public relations
- Personnel management and employee relations
- Healthcare delivery
- Financial management
Are you interested in serving the community on NOAH’s Board of Directors? NOAH is always looking for caring individuals who have a similar mission and drive to improve healthcare and outcomes for every member of our Central Arizona community.