Exercise Options: Alternatives to the Gym
Physical activity is an important part of health and wellness. Not everyone can go to a gym, especially with a busy schedule. Thankfully, there are many other exercise options. Always check with your healthcare provider before starting a new exercise program, especially if you have any physical or health limitations.
- For adults: at least 30 minutes a day, five days a week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity (ex. brisk walking, riding a bike, and mowing the lawn). Preferably, also with two days a week of muscle strengthening exercises (ex. Lifting weights, using resistance bands, and some forms of yoga).
- For children ages 6 to 17 years old: at least 60 minutes (one hour) or more of moderate-to-vigorous intensity activity most days and at least three days a week of muscle strengthening exercises.
- For more information, please check out CDC guidelines.
Outdoor Exercise Options
- Walk or jog around your neighborhood
- Hike at a local trail
- Play basketball, frisbee, tennis, etc. in your own yard or a park
- Jump rope in your garage or outside
- Take a bike ride
- Do gardening and yard work
- Walk briskly around the house or up and down stairs
- Dance to your favorite music
- Use home cardio machines like a treadmill, stationary bikes, or rowing machine
- Use free weights, resistance bands, or one of these items lying around your house for muscle strengthening
- Download a cardio or strength training app, many of which don’t require any exercise equipment.
- Exercise videos. YouTube is full of videos for cardio, muscle strengthening, yoga/stretching, and other exercises. Here are some examples from well-respected sources:
Join a Team or Take a Group Class
- Joining a team or taking group classes is a fun and social choice.
- Check out City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation for classes and team sports for youth and adults.
- Your local gym may have classes or you can go to a specialized studio for things like martial arts, spin, barre, yoga, etc.
Physical activity is one very important piece to overall health and wellness. Learn more about the many services our nutrition team can offer in NOAH’s individualized, comprehensive healthcare.