May is Melanoma Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month which raises awareness about skin cancer and encourages the community to practice sun safe behaviors.
At NOAH, our patients are invited to schedule a skin check with their provider as a preventative measure or to identify and biopsy an area of concern. If you are concerned about an area of skin that needs to be looked at, please call 480-882-4545 or click here to request an appointment with one of our providers and always practice sun protective behaviors!
9 tips to protect your skin
• Seek the shade, especially between 10 AM and 4 PM.
• Do not burn.
• Avoid tanning and UV tanning beds.
• Cover up with clothing, including a broad-brimmed hat and UV-blocking sunglasses.
• Use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher every day. For extended outdoor activity, use a water-resistant, broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
• Apply 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of sunscreen to your entire body 30 minutes before going outside. Reapply every two hours or immediately after swimming or excessive sweating.
• Keep newborns out of the sun. Sunscreens should be used on babies over the age of six months.
• Examine your skin head-to-toe every month.
• See your physician every year for a professional skin exam.