Sleep is something that comes naturally, right? Not always. During Better Sleep Month, NOAH wants you to take charge and improve your nights and make sleep a priority. Did you know that sleep plays a critical role in maintaining your good health? Our NOAH team shares what happens to your body when you don’t get enough sleep and offers some trustworthy tips that can help you take charge of your sleep!
Lack of sleep causes…
• An increased risk of developing chronic conditions such as obesity, diabetes, and high blood pressure.
• Interference with your body’s hormones, leading to irritability, mood swings, cognitive impairment and slowed motor coordination.
• An immune system response, making you more likely to get sick with colds, flus and other illnesses.
Time to take charge.
• Clean up your sleep. Clean sleep can be the key to gentle aging, lowered stress and anxiety, staying slim, and looking and feeling good.
• Worry-free zone. Making your bedroom a worry-free zone allows you to sleep freely. Meditation before bed can help sweep the debris in your mind into a corner.
• Schedule a sleep appointment. Getting yourself into a routine where you go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time (even on weekends) will lull your body into the habit of regular sleep. Be very strict with your bedtime.
• Cast a sleep spell. Develop a night time routine and follow these same series of steps every night to send a signal to your body that sleep is coming and helps your body and mind relax.
• Sip for sleep. Mix chamomile, lavender and valerian, and steep in hot water. One small cup an hour before bedtime will help you sleep.
• Replace your bedding. Wash your bedding weekly and consider replacing it annually.
• Gentle touch. Try 100% cotton sheets and pajamas which provide a soft feel that is soothing. If you tend to feel hot while sleeping, choose moisture-wicking pajamas.